Another weekend of somewhere to go…. geez when will it end? I have been busy with either weddings, or BBQ’s every weekend, I don’t know which way to look! So tomorrow I have another BBQ, and I have been asked to bring a side. My option is always something healthy but something very tasty. It’s summertime, so a veggie salad it is. I find in summertime I am never really hungry for a huge meal, or really any kind of meat. Salads are always one of my favorites and very satisfying for me. I have made this recipe many times before and this time it is a vegetarian version. It is very simple to make and I am sure many of you will have all the ingredients needed on hand.
Veggie & Rotini Pasta Salad
– 1 Box Rotini (or other shaped) Pasta, Cooked
– 1 Large Broccoli, cut, small flowerets (discard stems, or compost them)
– 1 Red Pepper, Diced
– 1 Yellow Pepper, Diced
– 1 Small Red Onion, Diced
– About 1 to 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Carrots
– 5 Celery Stems, Sliced thin
– 1 can Mixed Legumes (Rinsed in cold water).
– 1 can Baby Corn (Rinsed in cold water), cut up
– 1 small can Peaches & Cream Kernel Corn (Rinsed in cold water)
– 1 Cup Cranberries (I used the sweetened variety)
– 1 container Feta Cheese, sliced
– 1 small bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing (use about half the bottle)
– Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
METHOD: Cook the rotini, I do not cook the pasta too long, I like it a bit hard. Overcooking the pasta makes it very starchy, yuck! Once the pasta is cooked, drain in a colander and run cold water over it until the pasta is cold. Drain all the water from it and put into a large serving bowl. Next prepare all your veggies and add them to the pasta bowl and mix well. Add the following, Mixed Legumes, Baby Corn, Kernel Corn, Cranberries, Feta Cheese and now add the dressing and stir well to combine. Add a little or a lot of the cracked pepper depending on how you like it and refrigerate. Is best to refrigerate overnight so all the flavors can really combine themselves.
This is a great starter salad and many things can be added to it. Tuna is great (I have posted a similar recipe in earlier times) and also some grilled chicken cut up, for the meat eaters. Just go crazy and get imaginative with your salads, they do a body good! 🙂